RD280 - Joint Commission on Health Care 2019 Annual Report
In keeping with its statutory mandate, the Joint Commission received reports from state agencies and other health-related groups; conducted and presented staff studies; considered comments from public and private organizations, advocates, industry representatives, citizens and other interested parties; and made policy recommendations to advance the quality of health and health care services in the Commonwealth.
The full Commission met five times in 2019. These meetings were held in Senate Room A of the Pocahontas Building on May 8, June 24, September 4, October 3, and November 14. The Executive Subcommittee met on the first of May in Senate Subcommittee Room 3 of the Pocahontas Building to discuss the Commission’s work plan for the year.
Seven staff reports were presented during the 2019 Joint Commission on Health Care meetings:
• Language Development Milestones and Parent Resources for Young Deaf/Hard of Hearing Children
• Increased Prescription Delivery Options at Same Price for Health Plan Members
• Naloxone Public Access & Storage
• The Dispensing of Drugs and Devices Pursuant to Pharmacy Collaborative Practice Agreements, Standing Orders and Statewide Protocols
• Prescription Drug Price Gouging
• Forensic Nursing in the Commonwealth
• Supported Decision-Making for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD)
In addition to the staff reports, invited guests delivered the following presentations at the June 24 meeting:
• Virginia Maternal Mortality Data presented by Melanie J. Rouse, PhD, Maternal Mortality Projects Coordinator at the Virginia Department of Health
• Governor’s Goal on Eliminating Racial Disparity in Maternal Mortality presented by Gena Boyle Berger, MPA, Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Resources
• Update on Creation of Standardized Release of Information Form presented by Michael Schaefer, PhD, Assistant Commissioner at Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services
• VHI 2018 Annual Report and Strategic Plan Update presented by Michael Lundberg, Executive Director, Virginia Health Information, Inc.
The above reports and presentations are available at http://jchc.virginia.gov on the meetings and reports pages.