RD481 - Forensic Science Board 2020 Annual Report
Virginia Code § 9.1-1110(B) requires the Forensic Science Board (FSB) to review and make recommendations by November 1 of each year concerning items 1 through 6 below. Chapter 473 of the 2019 Virginia Acts of Assembly requires that information about use of the Physical Evidence Recovery Kit Tracking System be included in the Forensic Science Board's Annual Report. Accordingly, this Report is broken out into the following sections:
1. New major programs and plans for the activities of the Department of Forensic Science (DFS) and elimination of programs no longer needed;
2. Policy and priorities in response to agency needs;
3. General fiscal year operational budget and any major changes in appropriated funds;
4. Actions to foster and promote coordination and cooperation between DFS and the user programs which are served;
5. Rules and regulations necessary to carry out the purposes and intent of Chapter 11 of Title 9.1 of the Code of Virginia; and
6. Any recommendations submitted to the Board or the Director by the Scientific Advisory Committee; and
7. Information about use of the Physical Evidence Recovery Kit Tracking System.
The Forensic Science Board met at the Department of Forensic Science’s Central Laboratory in Richmond on January 6, 2020. The Board met electronically on June 29, 2020, July 15, 2020, and October 15, 2020. A list of members of the Board is included as Attachment A.
Pursuant to Code § 9.1-1110(B) and Chapter 473 of the 2019 Virginia Acts of Assembly, the Board makes the following report.