HD2 - Virginia Transit Equity and Modernization Interim Study Report (HJR 542, 2021 SSI)
WHAT IS THE TRANSIT EQUITY AND MODERNIZATION STUDY?
The Virginia Transit Equity and Modernization Study is aimed at identifying opportunities to advance equitable access to transit services, infrastructure, and technology within the Commonwealth. There has been a renewed focus in recent years on the advancement of equity, accessibility, and technology. The study team is exploring a wide variety of topics and engaging the public to create a proactive plan for the equitable advancement and modernization of transit in the Commonwealth.
Transit Equity Considerations
• What can be done to increase our understanding of community transit needs, and how can we better ensure no voice or perspective is missed?
• What is the distribution of benefits and burdens when planning for transit delivery?
• What transit investments increase access to opportunities and better connect the workforce to employment?
• What can be done to ensure that those that are impacted by planning decisions have a voice in the process?
Transit Modernization Considerations
• What best practices need to be embraced and what programs, policies, and procedures need to be adapted to advance modernization goals?
• What enhancements can be made to improve rider experience?
• What modernization efforts enhance transit accessibility, infrastructure, electrification, safety, and technology?
WHAT IS THE INTERIM STUDY REPORT?
This interim study report is intended to identify the challenges to and the opportunity for advancing equitable and modern transit within the Commonwealth. It documents study progress to date and outlines preliminary findings. This initial report also identifies themes and key observations regarding the needs of Virginia’s transit systems and provides insight into future recommendations on how to modernize the systems equitably.