RD147 - Health Insurance Reform Commission Executive Summary of 2018 Interim Activity and Work – February 2019
Chapter 53 (§ 30-339 et seq.) of Title 30 of the Code of Virginia charges the Health Insurance Reform Commission (HIRC) with:
• Monitoring the work of appropriate federal and state agencies in implementing the provisions of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (the ACA), including amendments thereto and regulations promulgated thereunder;
• Assessing the implications of the ACA's implementation on residents of the Commonwealth, businesses operating within the Commonwealth, and the general fund of the Commonwealth;
• Considering the development of a comprehensive strategy for implementing health reform in Virginia;
• Recommending health benefits required to be included within the scope of the essential health benefits (EHBs) provided under health insurance products offered in the Commonwealth, including any benefits that are not required to be provided by the terms of the ACA;
• Assessing proposed mandated benefits and providers and recommending whether, on the basis of such assessments, mandated benefits and providers be providers under health care plans offered through a health benefit exchange, outside a health benefit exchange, neither, or both;
• Conducting other studies of mandated benefits and provider issues as requested by the General Assembly; and
• Developing such recommendations as may be appropriate for legislative and administrative consideration in order to increase access to health insurance coverage, ensure that the costs to business and individual purchasers of health insurance coverage are reasonable, and encourage a robust market for health insurance products in the Commonwealth.
The HIRC is chaired by Delegate Kathy Byron (the Chair). Senator Frank Wagner serves as the HIRC's vice-chairman. The other members of the HIRC are Delegates Lee Ware, David Yancey, and Eileen Filler-Corn and Senators Rosalyn Dance, Richard Saslaw, and Ryan McDougle. Commissioner of Insurance Scott White and Commissioner of Health and Human Resources Daniel Carey serve as ex officio nonvoting members.
The HIRC met three times during the 2018 interim, on May 24, 2018, July 16, 2018, and October 16, 2018.
This executive summary of the interim activity and work of the HIRC is submitted pursuant to § 30-345 of the Code of Virginia.